Vaginal dryness can be caused by a drop in estrogen levels because of pregnancy or menopause. The vagina may also become dry because of anti-estrogen medications, ovary removal, or chemotherapy. It is an uncomfortable condition that can cause itching, irritation and burning to develop in the vagina. If left untreated, it can make the vagina walls become thinner and more painful during intercourse. We encourage you to learn about the ways available to combat this condition.
The Reasons for Vaginal Dryness
There are many reasons that cause the vagina to reduce lubrication and become dry. If a woman does experience his, there are several treatment methods she can use to increase lubrication. Here are a few reasons the vagina may become irritated:
- Breastfeeding: When women breastfeed their estrogen levels are lower than those who do not, so they are more likely to experience dryness.
- Radiation: The radiation administered during chemotherapy affects the mucous membranes in the body. These membranes include the vulvar and vaginal tissues too. They become irritated, dry and inflamed from the radiation. It also causes estrogen levels to drop in the body, which attributes to vaginal dryness.
- Sjogren’s syndrome: This is an autoimmune system disorder that occurs when your immune system attacks the body’s cells and tissues. It prevents the mucous membranes from secreting adequate moisture and is another reason for vaginal dryness.
- Allergy: The use of feminine care products such as tampons, sanitary pads and panty liners can be another reason for vaginal irritation. These products contain harsh chemicals that may bring on vaginal discomfort for women.
- Chemicals – Using feminine care products such as tampons, sanitary pads and douching can affect your vagina too. These products contain harsh chemicals that irritate the vagina and interfere with its natural flora. The same goes for bubble baths, soaps and feminine sprays.
Ways to Treat Vaginal Dryness
There are several ways to relieve the uncomfortable symptoms caused by vaginal dryness they include hormone therapy in ring form, tablet and cream. Hormone therapy replaces the estrogen in your bloodstream and body. You can also use vaginal moisturizers and perform Kegel exercises to get the blood flowing into your genitalia. We at Le Reve Skincare & Laser Center are proud to offer the Juliet Feminine Laser, which can treat everything from vaginal dryness to vaginal relaxation syndrome to stress urinary incontinence.
There are many ways to treat vaginal dryness and alleviate your symptoms. For more information on our options, reach out to Le Reve Skincare & Laser Center and make an appointment today! Our caring team would be happy to answer any questions and address any concerns you may have. Contact us today to schedule a consultation! Our office is conveniently located in Fort Worth, TX.